Using a spikey ball on a regular basis is a great way to maintain flexibility, ease muscle tension and optimise performance. Spikey balls are particularly effective at releasing tightness due to myofascial trigger points. These are the tight bands and contractions that form in response to poor posture and over-use.
WHY USE A SPIKEY BALL?
There are some parts of the body that you can’t quite get to with a foam roller or traditional massage techniques and this is where the spikey ball comes in handy. Spikey balls are firmer and larger than a tennis ball and not quite as unforgiving as a golf ball or lacrosse ball, making them to perfect tool for releasing those hard to get to muscles. Using the spiky against a firm surface, you can regulate the amount of pressure by adjusting the position of your body.
PHYSIOLOGICAL BENEFIT OF USING A SPIKEY BALL:
- Stimulates local vasodilatation to increase blood flow and promote the healing process
- Stimulates the mechanoreceptors to promote the pain gate theory
- Acts as an adjunct for acupressure point release and myo-fascial release
- Promotes endorphin release
AREAS TO USE A SPIKEY BALL:
The spikey ball can be used on all the areas of the body, especially the front and back on the neck region, the forearm and much more (See below). With the main focus to always work on the tender point and slowly roll until the tension and pain diminishes. S
- Keep breathing as you perform these exercises
- Consult with your osteopath to see if these exercises are appropriate for you
- Do not use the spiky ball if you have a new injury or in the presence of inflammation
- Avoid bony areas
- If you feel any ongoing pain or pins and needles please consult with your Osteopath.
These self massage balls are ideal for self body massage to relieves tension and stimulates blood circulation.
For more information about exercises and osteopathy contact us
Osteopathy Introductory Offer
Get 25% off your initial appointment if you book online.
Terms & conditions apply. Valid for new clients only.